The Lois and Richard Nicotra Foundation are generous supporters of St. John Villa Academy. They’ve awarded grants to the Academy is support of the following projects:
* Repair of the rubber protective mat on the playground used by our Elementary School Students, Universal Pre-K Students and our summer campers
* Installation of a secondary emergency exit in the Sisters’ bedroom areas of the Convent
* Repairs to our Chapel building
For 92 years, the Sisters of St. John the Baptist have dedicated their lives to educating the students of Staten Island and Brooklyn, New York. Since students first completed a year of education in 1923-24, approximately 9,000 students have graduated.
In order to maintain excellence in education, over the past few years the Academy has undertaken the following restoration and security projects:
* Campus Security - Surveillance cameras with remote monitoring were installed at the following buildings: Elementary; High School; St. Alfonso M. Fusco Center; Gym; Chapel; Convent. Also, door knobs throughout the campus were corrected to meet safety standards. Fencing has been installed as needed. New Fire codes have been met.
* Elementary School - The roof, windows and exterior doors were replaced. The entire facade was re-pointed. Upgrades to accommodate new educational technology were installed. This was Phase 1 in restoring aged and damaged buildings.
* St. Alfonso Maria Fusco Center (Building by the Pool) - Extensive upgrades were made to meet NYC codes for Universal pre-K students, including renovation of the bathrooms. This building also meets the requirements of St John Villa’s Camp which uses the facility during the summer. All mandated safety requirements, especially for the pools, are in place.
* High School - The High School has gone digital. Every student can access all of her textbooks via electronics. Each classroom has all the electronic equipment needed to allow our students participation in the digital world of today and tomorrow.
* Mother Alberta Stango Gym - Our Gym remains one of the most beautiful among Staten Island Catholic high schools. Although the gym floor receives year-to-year maintenance, there is much interior work needed for the stage, curtains, bathrooms and ceiling. To make a gift in support of the Mother Alberta Stango Gym, click here to download the contribution form for the Gym Fund or here to donate on line.
* Chapel Building – After the significant damages from Hurricane Irene and Sandy, the classrooms in the Chapel Building had to be removed and renovated to provide offices for the Academy’s Administrator; President; Development Staff and Conference area. This was an unplanned but major project that had to be undertaken. Phase 2 of our Building restoration was now underway. The Chapel roof was replaced, the bricks on the East side were re-pointed and window frames were repaired.
We need your help -
Our Chapel Building and its surroundings still are in need of major repairs and restorations, beginning with the re-pointing of the remaining 3 sides of the Chapel. Additionally, restorative work is needed around Our Lady’s Grotto, the Chapel Porch, and the outside Stairway.
In this year in which our holy Founder was elevated as a Saint, will you help us restore God’s house?
Gym Floor Before and After Photos:
If you have any questions, contact the development office at 718.447.4150 ext. 130/171.